Monday, September 9, 2019

Farewell

In 1989 I was given a small lawn mowing round which was two days a week and 31 years later I've officially retired from this enjoyable profession. This modest job was invaluable to me as an artist. It gave me enough money to cover expenses and a job that did not occupy my mind at the end of the day. 

Sometimes I've been asked if I would like to teach art, but having had the occasion where I've filled in for teachers, I would rather mow lawns. For me, being an artist means you think about your art most of the time, even when you're not actually in front of the easel. A teacher's job demands that you think of the work of many people and not just your own and I found that very conflicting. Some teachers can handle this very well, but I found it was a distraction. 

I love being outside in the air, especially when the sun is shining and it was always a pleasure to work in those conditions, and of course, it was a bit of exercise. Over time, I was in a position to let a few of the lawns go, to the point where I was only doing two large units every fortnight and painting the rest of the time.

The pics below show the residents of one of the lawns I did in Hampton. I got to know all the residents and would often have a quick chat from time to time. They gave me a card with their appreciation and a farewell morning tea, which was a very special occasion indeed.

Thankyou to all the residents at 18 Fewster Road Hampton.

From left right  - 

 Barry, Lorraine, Mal, Pat, Eleanor, Rick and 
Michael, the manager of the units.


 Charles, standing


Robyn and Barry