Sunday, July 21, 2024

Charles Nodrum 40th Year Celebration


Charles Nodrum is currently celebrating his 40 years as a director of his name sake gallery Charles Nodrum Gallery in Richmond. It's also 20 years since I had my first exhibition at the gallery, so you could say it's a double anniversary. I'm also having my 6th exhibition there soon, titled Drawing on Light and Air, and I hope, with many more to come. 

I have always admired the paintings of a kiss by Gustave Klimt and Edward Munch and this painting gave me an opportunity to picture a kiss. It is a still from the film Cinema Paradiso (1988) directed by Guiseppe Tornatore but I wanted the main subject of the painting to be light, especially since light is what gives us the cinematic experience.

The painting (below) is included in an exhibition to mark this 40th year celebration along with many works by gallery artists. It will be an amazing opening with so many people expected and I hope the building will be large enough to contain the crowd! 

Charles Nodrum website has a detailed history of Charles and his career in the arts and it's an interesting read. 

Light and the Cinema, 2023, oil on canvas, 61.25 x 76.25 cm