Saturday, September 19, 2026

Wire Walker



When I saw the documentary Man on Wire, I was amazed at Phillippe Petite's achievement. The photographs of him on a high wire stretched between the Twin Towers in New York was a sight to behold. The smallness of his body, set against a great expanse, was awe inspiring. It was like a human being confronting the universe. Consequently, I began to make a series of images of wire walkers, in various mediums and spread over a long period of time, which is still continuing. 

But lately, I began to see that image as a symbol or metaphor for every human being. I generally try to avoid symbolism and metaphor but this image and its philosophical meaning would not quieten in my mind. It seems to me to represent the struggle, the finding of balance, between happiness and solving problems, a never ending journey. The word existential comes to mind and, for me, it means we must continue moving forward even though we never know what the future holds.





Wire Walker, 2026, oil on linen, 41 x 46 cm