Friday, January 24, 2020

The Great Notre Dame Cathedral of Paris

Notre Dame, Paris, 1993, oil on paper



This oil wash drawing was done in Paris in 1993. My partner, Deborah Klein, had a residency at the Cite des Internationale and I stayed with her for six weeks. It was a fantastic experience because it has been the only time when I have been overseas that I was able to work at my art. We had a number of excellent views of Paris from the window and this drawing was done from there. 

The technique was inspired by Degas' oil wash sketches, applied so thinly it looks almost like an ink or water colour sketch. 

The tragedy of the 2019 fire still lingers since Notre Dame is one of the greatest art works ever created. Fortunately it has not been lost and much was saved that might have been turned to ashes.