Saturday, September 4, 2021

Wind Across the Hills


 Wind Across the Hills, 2021, oil on canvas, 51 x 76.5 cm


This painting was inspired by the Japanese historical drama/horror film titled Onibaba. It centres around a few people who live fairly isolated lives near a river with very tall reeds. Throughout the film, we see the wind racing through the reeds and it was these moments that inspired me to do a painting of the wind.

Although it was imagined, I actually painted it at a sight I often visit when I do outdoor painting. As mentioned in a previous post, although I often don't paint the actual scene in front of me, being there seems to keep the idea in my mind. 

The grass was the hardest part of the picture to paint as it can be difficult to achieve an effect of grass that is bending to the wind in contrast to grass that's just leaning, though the way the clouds are painted can help suggest the wind is blowing.