Thursday, December 9, 2021

Deborah's Pictures


My partner, Deborah Klein, had her 70th birthday recently. Since it was a landmark birthday, something special was needed to mark the occasion. Since I've been taking guitar lessons this past year, and composing as well, I thought I would compose a short piece to celebrate Deborah's creativity, and so I had the idea of setting Deborah's pictures to music. The composition, titled DEBORAH'S PICTURES, is played by my guitar teacher, Daniel Nistico with whom I did the composition course as well.

Deborah's pictures are in the background, but a more expansive view of her work on her studio wall can be seen below and also at www.deborahklein.net

You can hear Daniel's wonderful playing of my composition Here -  I thought I would show the opening few bars as it begins by spelling out Deborah's name. The score itself expresses the various aspects that make up Deborah's work and thoughts - intimacy, secrecy, elegance, intricate patterning and power. 

Hopefully I've captured something of these qualities.



Daniel Nistico playing DEBORAH'S PICTURES


Part of the score showing the first two bars spelling out DEBORAH



Deborah's studio wall with her work


Celebrating her birthday with a breakfast at the Ballarat Yacht Club 


Lunch in our cinema room with birthday cakes and coffee. 


And of course Alice has to be in the picture