Sunday, September 18, 2022

More Pics from Geelong Grammar School

I thought I would post a few more pics from my residency at Geelong Grammar so here they are. 

The art students have an art award called the Coriobald, an annual portrait prize opened to Geelong Grammar students only, and the name is of course a play on the Archibald. I was a little surprised when I was asked to be one of the judges when I arrived at Geelong Grammar School to begin my residency. In general, I'm not a fan of Art Prizes or Awards as they are a kind of censorship. By that I mean the finalists and winners are filtered through the prejudices and agendas of those who judge the artwork. Then there is the inevitable compromise amongst the judges as they seek a common ground to come up with a winner that will suit all the judges. It might not even be the winner you would choose if you were the only judge. 

I was also asked to open the award so I thought I would point out to the students that time alone is the only judge of an artist's legacy and that this fact should always be borne in mind. 

The opening itself was amazing as so many enthusiastic people turned up for the event and the catering was exceptional as it always is at Geelong Grammar School. I was given a bottle of wine as a thank you, a wine cultivated from the Timbertop vines and it was such a warm and tasty brew! Thank you Geelong Grammar School.




Opening remarks at the Coriobald



left-right. Hugo, Peter Bajer (Head of Visual Arts), me and Charlotte. 
Unfortunately I didn't get the surnames of the students who 
introduced me and presented me with a bottle of wine as a thank you



The Clock Tower



Inside the Clock Tower



Inside the Clock Tower



View from the Clock Tower



 View from the Clock Tower