Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Drawing from Life

In my early 20s, when I started out to be an artist, drawing from art books was fine for a while but it couldn't be limited to this practice since you need to explore other avenues of making images in order to find your own voice. With this in mind, I began going to life classes and asking friends to sit for a portrait drawing. The face was important as I wanted to create a person and not just a 'model', as if he or she was just an object to draw. There is not much background in most of the drawings as time was extremely limited and my aim was to capture the figure. 

These are some of the drawings I did from life. The life drawings were done from 4 x 20 minute poses and the portraits perhaps 2 hours each. The aim was to develop a fairly accurate observation from life and explore different mediums and papers, such as pencil, pastel, conte and oil paint wash.