Saturday, September 2, 2023

Interiors

Paintings of interiors have always fascinated me. They seem to be about something else rather than a picture of a room. The ones I like best are rooms that seem to invite a state of meditation or reflection, that bring you into a calm centre.

The painting I did of my front bedroom was inspired by the sunlight streaming through the semi- transparent curtains. The curtains seemed to be as ethereal as the light itself.

Two of my favourite artists are Gwen John and Vilhelm Hammershoi. Here are two examples of how they interpret the space and light in a room in their house.


The Quiet Room, 2023, oil on linen, 66.3 x 51.3 cm





Vilhelm Hammershoi - Sunbeams or Sunshine and Dust Mites 
Dancing in the Sunbeams, 1900,
oil on canvas, 70 x 59 cm


A Corner of the Room in Paris (with windows open), 1907-9, 
oil on canvas on board, 31.2 x 24.8 cm