Sunday, July 21, 2024

Raindrops

The larger painting of raindrops was done as a variation of the smaller one. I wanted more rain on the water which demanded a larger format. The circles in the larger painting have been disturbed slightly by the movement of the water, as if to suggest that the rain has started in earnest. The larger painting was done entirely in the studio but simplified somewhat as the circular waves created by the raindrops are too complicated to observe. The smaller version was simplified too although it was painted en plein air. I don't think I would have done the studio version if I had not painted raindrops on water from life as this gave me an understanding of what to do in the second version.  



Raindrops on the Lake, 2024, oil on linen, 61 x 101.75 cm
 


Raindrops, 2020, oil on panel, 40 x 40 cm