Monday, September 2, 2024

Slava Gregorian at Leavers

I've always loved classical guitar and I try to see guitar performances whenever I can. I've seen Slava Gregorian play numerous times at the Melbourne Recital Centre and at the Art Gallery of Ballarat but he recently played in the regional town of Creswick, at Leavers Hotel. It's an intimate venue, as the pics show, and a perfect space for classical guitar to be heard as the instrument makes such an intimate sound.  

My partner, Deborah Klein, and I also had quite a nice meal there as well, so it made for a magical evening. 

All guitarists talk about the pieces they're about to play but Slava intersperses his introductions with funny comments as well. In a way that's a good thing because it often seems to me that classical music is often regarded as something ultra-serious and heavy when in reality it can be joyous and celebratory. If music is played by a musician who takes obvious pleasure in what he or she does, then it's easy to open one's mind and heart to it when it's introduced.

Photo credits -

1 & 4 - Shane Jones

 2 & 3 - Deborah Klein.