Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Talking to the Students at Federation University Australia

My Residency at Federation University Australia at Ballarat is winding down. Recently I gave a talk to the post-graduate students and then followed it up with some examples of the work I've done over a period of time. I showed them some of the things I did when I started out as an artist which I haven't looked at for many years. The early work always brings back memories of how difficult it is was to be a painter, but it still continues to be difficult to this day. Many people think painting is all about technique or skill, but it's primarily a mental pursuit. Forming ideas and expressing them as paintings demands a kind of searching, a finding of the way to do it, and since every picture is different, the search continues.