Saturday, August 7, 2021

Fire and Rain

Fire and Rain, 2021, oil on canvas, 50 x 60 cm 

This painting is a variation on the other two paintings with fire as a main part of the composition. Painting a grassy hill is quite a challenge as there are no large objects to lead the eye over the land. I could have put some in, but sometimes it's good to challenge oneself for the sake of it.

Most of the painting was completed up to the point where I was ready to add the rain. Although I used a very fine brush to do it, the paint was applied as thick as I could get it because as soon as the brush touched the canvas a dollop of paint appeared as if it was a raindrop. After that I moved the brush towards the top of the painting as this had the effect as if a body of water was falling and leaving a tail behind, which is what it does.